Thursday, April 15, 2010

Out In Tana City










I explored some parts of the city last evening. It was not surprising to see a large number of youth out on the streets, walking, hanging out, jamming and laughing since over 50 per cent of the population here in Madagascar is below 20.

It makes one feel young--if one is feeling a bit jaded or worried over the occasional niggling pain in the knee.

I had gone out with my friend, Sheetal Nahar, a steel consultant from Mumbai. Though Sheetal has been to Africa on business many times over the years, this is his first trip to Madagascar, and he too, like me, has been in for a surprise by the country.

While my two of my other companions in this trip decided to cool their heels in the balcony of the French guest house we stay at, Sheetal and I decided to 'explore' the city.

Taking a cue from someone from the African mainland, we 'explored' only the non-living things! The place, let me admit, is good for 'exploration and mining!' Pun intended.

We had visited an Australian mining company a day before.

The city centre was bustling, with some weird energy. The evening sunlight was glittering golden on everything.

I wanted to try some sausages being fried by the wayside. Since Sheetal, a Jain and a strict vegetarian, was with me I kept myself away from the mouth-watering beef. But Sheetal said he had no qualms and I could go ahead with it. But then, somehow, I wanted to respect his cultural sensitivities by not eating something so crude.

The weather is good for walking as the temps are hovering around early 20s and there is a cool breeze wafting across. You don't feel tired till you lie down in your bed. Once you stretch your limbs in the bed, you won't realize dozing off. I did yesterday, and missed a few important calls.

I woke up only when Denise, my friend and colleague, thudded on the wooded door. Dinner was a grilled chunk of some fleshy fish. I didn't know its name, but taste was as good as any.

We couldn't escape the French feel however we tried--by playing old Hindi love songs and talking in Malayalam.

I am in a dilemma now. I had decided to go for a basic German course at the Goethe Zentrum when I am back in Trivandrum, but now am confused whether to do German or French.

Oui...

1 Comments:

At 2:29 pm, Blogger Mind-pen said...

French... That way I'll be able to recollect too!!!

Do all your walking there! Since you NEVER walk when you're here.

Have fun, lose some pounds, and come back rejuvenated, healthy, and SLIM :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home