Sunday, April 11, 2010

In Madagascar




I have always wanted to be in Africa. The continent has fascinated me with its colours and noises. There were some opportunities in the past but I somehow couldn't make it. But today I am in Antananarivo, the capital of Madagascar.

A brief stopover at the Jomo Kenyatta airport in Nairobi gave a taste of real Africa: big bosoms, boisterous laughter, weird combination of dress and the unmistakable vastness. But a three-hour flight down south, it's a different take.

Madagascar is not Africa in its salient features. It's quite different--from people to architecture to streets to climate. It gives one the impression of being in quaint little French small town.

We--my two friends/colleagues and I--were received at the airport by Mr German, who works for the telecom ministry. And, we were taken to our typically French hotel by Mr Saravanan, advisor to the President.

After a short break, we headed to an Indian restaurant for lunch. More about Abdullah, the owner of the restaurant, will be posted later.

Denise, my friend, and I had dum biriyani while Sheetal, our friend from Mumbai who is particular about his Jain food habits, chose chapattis with paneer.

After lunch, we bought mobile SIM cards and went to our rooms for a nap.

At five, we met down for tea and some discussion on the projects we are involved here. At 7.30, went for dinner, again, at Abdullah's place.

Tomorrow, that's later today as it's well past midnight now, we are planning to visit a hotel that's up for sale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home